Societies provide protection services to young people to ensure their safety and provide for their families. Companies start their work after receiving a request or referral for the service; This may come from the youth or a member of the affected community. If you are working with a teenager and think ADR will help you or if the teenager is interested in getting information about ADR, teenagers can discuss ADR with their company or the OCL. Indigenous approaches to ADR developed by First Nations communities or Indigenous organizations are also available. In your role, you can support a teen who is making an important decision about their care or who is involved in a dispute with a society. Support is provided to youth through the OCL. There are also alternative dispute resolution and complaint procedures that help resolve disagreements between a young person and society. The companies will then review the information and be able to open an investigation. The company will want to talk to you about your experiences and concerns to help them assess if you are vulnerable and, if so, what services are right for you. The company may need to talk to your family about the information you provide during your interview. You can protect your identity as a referral source. In the service plan, you agree that your family will work with the CAS to help you care for your child.

For example, you may agree: Sometimes your child may be involved in the agreement you make with the CAS. This means that they will also have to accept the services of the SCA and may also have to sign the agreement. If the information warrants investigation, society will want to hear from youth about their experiences and concerns to help them assess whether they are vulnerable and, if so, what services are right for them. At the end of the investigation, the society will determine if the youth is vulnerable and if additional intervention is needed, if necessary. If a society determines that a minor is vulnerable and that outside the home is being considered, it is required to make a referral to the OCL on behalf of the young person. The teen has the opportunity to consult with an OCL lawyer who can advise on the options available, as well as legal representation if the teen enters a VYSA. Where appropriate, societies will work with young people and their families (or if young people in their current living situation do not live with their families) to improve things at home. This may include referrals to community services and programs that can help. A VYSA is a voluntary agreement and a young person can leave the agreement at any time. If a VYSA has been terminated, the young person and the company may complete a new VYSA at any time in the future, provided that the young person meets the eligibility requirements, including determining that the minor is in need or in need of protection.

If you have signed a voluntary service contract, your child will stay with you. CAS keeps their file open and can take further action if you are not abiding by the agreement or if they have new concerns about whether you can take care of your child. A new Voluntary Youth Services Agreement (VYSA) will be offered to youth who: If you are a First Nations, Inuk or Métis youth, the Company will inform your First Nations band or First Nations, Métis or Inuit community that the Society is preparing to enter into an agreement with you so that services are provided to you in a manner that respects and preserves your cultural identity while respecting and preserving your cultural identity while providing you with support to stay in touch with your community, heritage and traditions. This guide is intended to be a complementary resource and temporary support, while OACAS, in collaboration with CAS, consults with key stakeholders, gathers information and monitors sector services for 16- and 17-year-olds to identify the province`s best practices for working with this new age group. In any place of service, it may be determined that the minor is in need of protection and that accommodation outside the home is necessary to ensure the minor`s safety. If an out-of-home internship is required to ensure the safety of the youth, the society may consider the following options in consultation with the youth: Societies begin their work when they receive a service request or recommendation. The request can come from someone in the community who cares about your safety. You can also apply on your own behalf. You may be concerned about the impact on your relationship with your family if you are the one making the report. However, as a reference source, you can ask to remain anonymous. If a young person is in a VYSA and a notice of termination is received or issued by a company, the company is also required to inform the OCL of the termination plan of the agreement, and the teen has the opportunity to access the CAL that respects the termination. When you receive services from a company, you should expect help in identifying and developing relationships that you believe are important and beneficial to you and that you want to maintain throughout your life.

The services aim to help you stay in touch with your family – no matter what it means to you – as well as with your community and culture. You should have access to services and supports that respect your culture, as well as programs that help you develop personally. When a youth works with a society, the society is required to inform the youth of options to resolve issues related to the youth plan, including access to alternative dispute resolution (ADR). For example, if a 16-year-old has left home due to a dangerous living situation, they can sign an agreement with the CAS. The CAS can arrange for them to live with a relative, friend or neighbour, or in a nursing or group home. The OCL has lawyers across Ontario who represent children and youth in court in child protection cases. The role of the OCL lawyer is to independently represent the views and interests of young people. The lawyer informs young people about the judicial process, gives legal advice on the options available and defends young people before the courts and other proceedings. B for example in the context of alternative dispute resolution, complaint procedures concerning services received from a company, and also provides lawyers to parents under 18 years of age. CAS can offer you these services or help you find services from another organization in your community. .